Golf Course Information
We are closed 1st and 2nd March due to bad weather.
The Golf Course
The golf course was designed by Bruce and David Weller (Weller Designs) of Farnham and the constructor was Mike Smith (M J Smith). Between them they have been involved with some of the leading names in golf course design and construction in Europe. The holes range from 100 to 519 yards.
The big greens are built to USGA specification with several layers of drainage and a rich root zone providing an ideal growing medium for the carefully chosen grasses that deliver a fast, true putting surface throughout the year.
The site itself is elevated and this, combined with gravel subsoil, means that the course drains freely and we rarely have to close, even after prolonged spells of heavy rain.
Our tree policy is based on native species. Head Green keeper Duncan Fox favours organic materials wherever possible and we have an abundance of wildlife. Deer are regularly seen on the course. Nesting boxes in surrounding trees and conservation areas around the course have encouraged a wide variety of birds including sparrow hawks, buzzards and a barn owl.
The course overlooks the Solent near Lymington on land that was formerly part of the Walhampton Estate. The Manor of Walhampton can be traced back to the days of William the Conqueror. In 1668 the estate was acquired by the Burrard family who built the imposing house, now Hordle Walhampton school, that forms an impressive backdrop to the north of the course.
Admiral Sir Harry Burrard Neale was a close friend of George III who regularly visited Walhampton. Sir Harry was Mayor of Lymington and helped introduce gas street lighting to the town. The 75ft tapered obelisk to the west of the course was erected in 1842 in his honour.
The east side of the course is bordered by woodland and to the south there are views of Lymington River and across the Solent to Yarmouth and the Needles.
The course lies on land that was acquired from the Walhampton Estate in 1910 by Herbert Goodall and now forms part of Bamptons Farm. The farm is owned by strawberry producers H Goodall and son and is run today by Herberts grandson, Brian Goodall.
It was decided that the name would change from Walhampton Golf Course to Lymington Golf Centre in 2017 as the New Forest Adventure Golf was builtÂ and new practice area added. The members Club will keep the name Walhampton Golf Club to hold on to the original name.
|PAR||STROKE INDEX||YELLOW YARDS|